Whether you’re focusing on finishing your to-do lists in preparation for some time off or are working over the holidays, staying on top of everything at work can feel particularly challenging at this time of year. Here are some top tips for managing your mental health in the lead up and during the festive period.
- Concentrate on tasks that are high priority and make a list of tasks that can wait until after the holidays. This will help you to leave work at work and truly switch off.
- Make sure you take breaks away from your desk or workstation especially if your workplace gets busier during the lead up to Christmas.
- Focus on the positives. Reflect on your successes and acknowledge your accomplishments throughout the past year.
- Think about what you might want to change in the new year. For example, if you’ve not been taking a proper lunch break why not put a recurring appointment in your calendar in 2022 to keep that time free.
During the holidays
- Give yourself time to switch off, unwind and relax.
- If your work emails are linked to your phone, consider switching off notifications.
- Try to stick to your usual routine, including bedtimes.
- Stay active with some regular exercise.
- If you’re working over the festive period, work out your priorities and plan in advance to lessen the load over these days. If you work in retail, could you rotate high pressure roles to spread the load across the team, e.g. switching between the sales desk, restocking and sales floor.
Have a merry Christmas and a safe, mentally healthy and prosperous new year from the team at EAP Assist.