|5 tips to promote self-care:
1. Forgiveness: Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Remember we are all human and we all make mistakes. Learn from the mistake but move on and don’t dwell on it as it will start to affect your mental wellbeing.
2. Be kind to yourself: Speak to yourself how you would speak to others. Banish all the negative internal voice and try and actually compliment yourself. Telling yourself you are doing a good job, is the first step towards self-care and will start to great good and healthy habits.
3. Start the day positively. Set the tone for your day. Hitting the snooze button a few times might seem like a good idea but it will probably make you more rushed later on. Start as you want the day to go on and try and build in time to think about how you want the day to go and what you are going to do to decompress.
4. Exercise as part of self-care: Daily exercise can help you both physically and mentally, boosting your mood and reducing stress and anxiety. It can be really hard to go to the gym every day, so be realistic and try to create a routine that works for you. Incorporate other exercises, such as walking, tennis or yoga, which may be able to fit into your schedule more easily.
5. Say no more: Learning to say no is really hard; many of us feel obligated to say yes when someone asks for our time or energy. However, if you’re already stressed or overworked, saying yes can lead to burnout, anxiety and irritability. It may take a little practice, but once you learn how to politely say no, you’ll start to feel more empowered, and you’ll have more time for your self-care.
For further support & advice contact EAP Assist.